Assumptions of Strategy Realization:
1. Region’s ability to restore security and stability to the status before 2014.
2. Achieving stability with respect to the budget, the allocation of provincial development and the provision of the budget required to implement the strategy.
3. Increasing the annual provincial allocations and activating the powers granted to local governments.
4. Adoption of corrective legislation required by the provincial government.
5. Stopping the displacement to the Region and reaching radical solutions to the problem of displaced people currently existing in Erbil.
6. Recovery in oil prices from the current crisis of the sharp decline in the world price of the barrel of oil.
7. Continuation of peaceful coexistence among the various segments of society in Erbil.
8. Stability of natural conditions and disappearance of natural disasters in the next phase.
Application Requirements of the Strategic Development Plan of the Erbil Province and Performance Follow up and Assessment:
In order to apply Erbil’s strategic development plan successfully, the following are required:
1. Arranging the proposed projects in order of priority and reliability on each others.
2. Establishing strategic management unit39 in Erbil to follow up the implementation of the plan, to linked directly to the governor’s office and shall have the authority to directly contact the governor and the technical departments of the concerned ministries and general directorate in the Ministry of Planning.
This unit may be at the level of a directorate or a department within the organizational structure of Erbil or in the form of a committee or a body to avoid the hassles/requirements of legislative change in the organizational structure.
3. The unit shall be responsible for the following tasks:
A. Preparing the project’s descriptive cards for each project included in the strategic plan.
B. Following-up the collection of the necessary financial allocations for the implementation of projects through investment budget and provincial evelopment budget and other possible financial resource allocations from specific regional strategies.
C. Periodical review of the plan and proposing any necessary corrective changes.
D. Implementation follow-up by the bodies in charge for each project, measuring performance indicators
E. Predicting the potential risks during implementation, which would block the implementing the project, and managing these risks should they occur.
F. Preparing performance follow-up reports.
G. Coordinating with the Ministry of Planning about performance indicators to provide the ministry with the results of s achievement according to its requirements.
H. Preparation of internal evaluation reports on the efficiency and effectiveness of implementation.
I. Supporting the external assessor by providing all the data required for the preparation of the external evaluation report.
4. Allocating the necessary financial resources for:
A. Building the capacities of the staff in the strategic management unit in terms of strategic management, follow-up and evaluation mechanisms
B. Designing a database for developmental indicators and performance indicators as included in the Strategic Development Plan
C. Covering operating expenses for the unity of strategic management, including moving to projects’ sites when needed, as well as meetings with the concerned directorates and institutions for follow-up purposes
D. Implementation of external evaluation