The preparation process of the strategic plan is one of four main stages in the strategic management cycle.
Figure 1 Strategy Development Methodology
Methodology was concentrated on intensive analysis of all development elements in the Governorate whereby the strategic orientation shall be determined for next years; and to ensure realizing highest levels of accuracy, work groups were formed to decide the gaps and challenges the Governorate suffers from through participation within the following mechanism:
With regard to the principles of strategic plan preparation, it has been developed through the following principles:
- Identification of the current situation on the basis of available data, statistics, and estimates.
- Involvement of all concerned sectors in drawing the roadmap for the development of the Province.
- Investment of available human resources within the Province structure and development of their capabilities through actual work.
The strategic plan has been developed according to the following stages: -
1- Determination of parties responsible for the plan development in the Province and the structure that guarantees the availability of “top management will” and “sustainability of results”? (Who)?
The focus at this stage was on the importance of local ownership of the results and the political will to change, in addition to the utilization of available human resources in the Province to ensure the institutionalization of work and experience. For this purpose, a steering committee headed by the governor and a standing planning committee of Province’s cadres, mainly from the Planning Directorate, were formed.
2- Assessment of the current situation (where are we now?)
This stage covered several steps, including:-
- Collection of data and statistics about the current situation in the Province from various sources, in addition to analyzing, reviewing and preparing an updated governorate profile.
- Internal and external environment analysis (PESTEL and SWOT) through the involvement of relevant stakeholders and partners.
3- Determination of where we want to be? (Future direction with vision and goals)
This stage included:
- Utilization of the outcomes of current situation analysis to determine the priorities of future development and formulate the strategic goals.
- Determination of future vision based on the situation analysis results
4- Identification of the approaches to get to the desired future (work mechanisms, programs, and projects).
At this stage, the future trends became clear. As a result, committees composed of specialists and experts, representatives of various segments of society, taking into account the representation of women and different groups, were formed to address a strategic trend. A second stage of the analysis was carried out and included identification of the most important challenges facing each strategic trend, and the proposed solutions in terms of projects, policies and work mechanisms. Hence, proposed projects and mechanisms were collected to achieve each strategic trend within executive programs. This step was followed by estimating the financial cost of proposed programs and prioritization according to specific criteria and methodology approved by the Steering Committee.
5- Awareness and Media Program all projects and rectifications that target the awareness of citizens through the media and other means, in addition to anything related to developing the media and its tools, fall under this program
6- Technical/Sectoral Projects Program “Technical” all technical sectoral projects and rectifications that relate to the priority, and would contribute to achieving the objective of the strategic priority, fall under this program. Some sectors intersect with more than one priority, therefore sectoral projects are distributed over the six priorities of the Province.