Preparing the strategic plan is considered one phase out of four main phases in the Strategic Management Cycle
Figure 1 Strategy Development Methodology
The work methodology focused on an extensive analysis of all development elements in the governorate, through which the strategic direction for the upcoming years has been set. In order to ensure reaching the highest levels of precision, work teams have been formed to identify the gaps and challenges facing the governorate, through collaboration within the following mechanism.
With regard to the principles of preparing the strategic plan, the plan was developed according to the following principles:
- Analysis of current situation using the available data, statistics and estimates
- Engaging stakeholders from all sectors to formulate a roadmap to develop the Province
- Utilizing the available human resources within the structure of the Province and developing their capabilities through actual work
The strategic plan has been developed according to the following phases:
1. Determination of the parties responsible for the plan development in the Province and the structure that guarantees the availability of the top management and the sustainability of the results (WHO?).
This phase focused on the importance of the local ownership of the product and the availability of political will for change, in addition to utilizing the available human resources in the Province to guarantee the institutionalization of work and expertise. A steering committee was formed and was headed by the Governor, in addition to a permanent planning committee formed by the Province’s staff, primarily from the Directorate of Planning in the Province.
2. Assessment of the current situation (where are we now). This phase covered several steps, including:
- Collection of data and statistics about the developmental current situation in the Province from the various sources, analyzing and reviewing them and preparing a paper on developmental reality.
- Internal and external environment analysis (SWOT and PESTEL) through the involvement of different stakeholders and partners.
3. Determination of where we want to be (Future direction with vision and goals). This phase included:
- Utilization of the outcomes of reality analysis to determine the future development priorities and to formulate strategic goals.
- Determination of the future vision, based on strengths and opportunities.
4. Identification the way to reach the desired future (work mechanisms, programs and projects) In this phase, future directions became clear, as a result; central committees were formed out of specialized and knowledgeable people who represent the various segments of the society, taking into account the representation of women and different groups. Each committee tackled one of the strategic priorities and a second phase of analysis was implemented, including identifying the main challenges facing each strategic goal, and the proposed solutions that include projects, policies and work mechanisms. The proposed projects and mechanisms were aggregated to achieve each strategic priority within implementation programs. This step was followed by estimating the cost of the proposed programs and prioritizing them according to specific criteria and methodologies endorsed by the steering committee.
Reference Documents Used in the Process of Preparing the Plan:
- Kurdistan Region of Iraq 2020 – A vision for the Future, MoPIC-KRG, Iraq, 2012
- Household Socio-Economic Survey of Iraq 2012 – Synopsis of the Region’s indicators, the Ministry of Planning – Iraqi Kurdistan
- CIPE، 2012 (Kurdistan Region Work Agenda 2, Kurdistan Center for Strategic Studies and CIPE, 2013)
- Tourism Current Situation Report – The Steering Plan for Tourism in Kurdistan Region, the General Agency for Tourism – the Government of Kurdistan, August 2012
- Province Profile for Duhok, Joint Analysis Unit (JAU), 2013
- Building Kurdistan Region Iraq- the Socio-Economic Infrastructure (SEINA), MoP-KRG a& UNDP, Dec 2012
- Socio-Economic Indicators in KRG – Socio-Economic Monitoring System, Ministry of Planning. Kurdistan Regional Statistics Office, Kurdistan Region, Iraq, Dec
- (The National Strategy on Anti-Violence Against Women in Kurdistan (2012-2016), The Supreme Council of Women Affairs, the Government of Iraqi Kurdistan, 14/9/2012)
- UN Women (The National Strategy Project for Women Development in Kurdistan (2014-2024) – the Government of Kurdistan and UN Women)
- Poverty and Mothers Mortality Survey 2013, the Central Agency of Statistics and the Kurdistan Region Statistics Agency
- Duhok Province data and statistics, the Directorate of Statistics of Duhok, 2014